Topband: rx array proximity to barbed wire fence

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Dec 11 18:39:03 EST 2012

 While one might claim some theoretical
interaction I have not documented any or identified any performance
degradation as a result.

I see Big Gun Mike, W5UC, has a lot of experience with RX arrays close to
fences has responded as well.>>>>>

The rusty twisted-joint barbed wire fences by my RX antennas were a problem
when I transmitted, but only when I tried to duplex. They were 2000 -3000
feet long and ran right past the TX antennas in a straight line, so I bet
they had a whopping signal level. They generated noise like crazy while I
transmitted.

I think the real problem is all fences and all installations are different.

If the fence has rusty joints and reradiates strong BC station mixing
products, it will be an issue.

If the fence is near power lines and reradiates noise, it can be a problem.

If the fence reradiates propagated signals with significant intensity
compared to over-the-air signals (pretty unlikely), it could be a problem.

It really depends more on the fence and local layout of things than anything
else, so the only way to really know is to just try it.

73 Tom