Topband: Fw: GAP VERTICAL QUESTION

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 12 18:34:20 EST 2012

[I may have sent an incomplete version of something on this topic.
Apologies]

6 dB would be someone's calculation based on currents.   The sometimes
abysmal performance of a ground rod based vertical system cannot be
explained by 6 dB.  Cutting my amp from 1500w to 375watts just doesn't get
bad enough.  Not close.

 Part of the problem is that we figure all the current in the vertical is
free and clear to useful radiation and is not affected by the RF
"appearance" of the ground.

You can model a near perfect commercial grade radial field, with a radial
system apparent series resistance of a few tenths of an ohm, and NEC4 will
still come back with an overall loss of 3 to 4 dB.  There is no
book-keeping of that loss in the 34 ohm vertical radiator in series with
the near zero resistance of the radials, as people typically talk about it.

If I run my EZNEC Pro NEC4 3D all points azimuth and elevation run for a
gold standard commercial installation, 120 1/4 wave buried radials in
"average" ground, at the bottom of the main window I will get a rather
typical 3.9 dB overall loss.  IF we have to understand loss as only
book-kept in the feed resistance numbers, one would have to APPORTION the
34 ohms resistance to account for the loss.  That would be 47 percent in
the pattern and 53 percent lost somewhere, by some means, 16 ohms
apportioned out to the pattern with 18 ohms of loss somewhere, but not in
the radials and not in the vertical wire.

Great radials.  Top of the line radials.  BUT there is still some mechanism
draining off 53 percent of the power.   The math in NEC 4 is doing and
sensing something that explains loss not book-kept in our
all-loss-is-shown-in-the-feed Z mental picture.

Where's the loss, loss that does not change the feed Z as it comes and
goes.  How does it work?  Can this non-Z-changing loss increase without the
commercial radials and a wire fed right at the ground?  One could picture
my installing a really good antenna at a place looking at a fairly distant
horizon.  However, I could  have trucks and bulldozers built a 1000 foot
high dirt wall encircling my place a mile away, and my feed Z would not
change.  The wall would just soak up RF that otherwise would be out doing
wonderful things at low angles.

How much additional does "unshielded" dirt underneath a naked vertical soak
up in terms of dB that does not alter the feed Z?

Persons unnamed in 1995 recommended two 1/4 wave radials on the ground.  I
remember that K4CIA from the other side of town, running QRP on his well
constructed 160 vertical could often beat me out running 100 watts.  What I
had was like running QRP on a good antenna.

We don't know everything.  And there are a lot of people that have awful
results with hack job radials.  We need to quit recommending hack jobs
until we know exactly why they do or do not work, and can explain a FAR
greater percentage of the anecdotal material than we can now, and can
explain how in some scenarios how we can get results that ARE plainly down
20.  If we're not careful, at some point we can be blowing off the
essential majority story because we just don't want to listen.

73, Guy