Topband: Elevated Radials Questions

ZR zr at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Dec 13 20:51:27 EST 2012

The only place Ive found tuned elevated radials being discussed so much is
on ham forums.

A bit over 20 years ago I installed a slanted wire 1/4 wave vertical for 160
coming off the top guy wire of a 160' tower and about 10' out.

Started with 4 radials of roughly 130', trimmed the radiator for best match
with zero reactance and measured the 2:1 bandwidth. Added 4 more radials and
the BW narrowed, added 8 more and it narrowed a bit more. Added another 16
and no change in BW so I assume the sweet spot is somewhere in the 20's at
this location and the radials starting at 12' and slowly sloping to 20' and
then thru tree branches. Just the way they were placed likely precludes any
chance of resonance. That antenna worked so well I added another, and used
nothing but coax phasing lines to switch directions or fire a figure 8
broadside. Cheap, simple and effective unless you like throwing away money
for a mailorder solution.

YMMV depending on ground effects and surrounding objects. OTOH I believe
people spend way too much time analyzing and relying on some questionable
answers and too little time doing some basic construction work and testing.

Carl
KM1H