Topband: PE coated RG6

Craig Clark jcclark at myfairpoint.net
Sat Dec 15 09:25:55 EST 2012

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my question both in PM’s and
in the respective forums. As many of you know, I have been making cables for
years professionally but this one, like connectorizing RG174, stumped me.

The issue is getting compression F connectors on the PE coated RG6 I am
using to feed my K7TJR four square receive array. I have never had a
problem putting F connectors on my PVC coated RG6.

The problem is getting the PE to expand enough to accept the ground
“innards” of the F connector and properly seat the center conductor of the
coax with the foam at the end of the opening.

I have tried heating the PE and that works, kinda. Doing it in the field far
from the house, on a cold winters day, means you have to judiciously use a
torch  to “warm” the PE. One suggestion was to use hot water. I will give
that a try later today.

The suggestion that has worked on three test connections came from Joel at
the RFC, another cable manufacturer. He suggested doing the standard cable
prep as you would do for PVC. He then suggested two ½” lateral cuts in to
the PE at the 12 and 6 positions and then push the connector on to the
cable. Eureka! Joel also suggested using the older crimp F connectors in
lieu of compression fittings. I have done both in my testing and am able to
get a good connection with both.

Using Joel’s suggestion, I’ll be remaking the splice where the coax was
crushed hopefully this afternoon before the snow comes.

I did speak to Lee at Hi-Z yesterday and he warned me about substandard
quality F double females. He has had terrible problems with them.

Special thanks to you all for helping me especially Joel, W3RFC and Roger,
N1RJ who sent me data sheets for F connectors.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and all the best for 2013

Craig Clark K1QX

QX Electronics

PO Box 209

107 Fitzgerald Rd