Topband: GAP Vertical Question

Ashton Lee Ashton.R.Lee at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 17 16:19:41 EST 2012

What I can add from personal experience is that a vertical dipole (center fed half wave) without radials, on a rocky cliff top is an absolute killer antenna on the upper HF bands. My vertical dipole works so well that in contests I often just quit using my yagis because of the hassle of rotating or even switching them. The omnidirectional vertical is only maybe 3 dB down on very good directional antennas.

Center fed half waves on 160 are a lot harder to set up, so I have no experience there. But if I had a used broadcast tower it sure would be fun to try one.