Topband: ARRL LOTW and More

Buck wh7dx wh7dx at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Dec 20 15:55:57 EST 2012

Roger...

As a new ham operator (1 year now).. I'm impressed by ARRL and what they do.   The publications, the website and licensing information and support.   The fair cost of membership, the speed of package deliver to Hawaii, email response.

The only thing I can complain about is the backlog in LOTW but they're working to fix that now with an upgrade.   Not a big deal.   It's not like I can't log away in the meantime...    I'm also impressed by eqsl and how easy that system is..  well designed and certainly worth uploading logs to.. takes about 60 seconds...   export log by date from N1MM..  upload and done...    LOTW is just a few more steps.

Anyway... as a new operator with no experience and new eyes..  the whole ham radio experience is fascinating.    I had no idea how complex it was.   So much out there.. so many options.. the licensing levels.. propagation all over the place... up.. down.. closed..

It must have been an interesting experience for those working 20-30-40+ years in Ham..  I can only imagine.    Now we have the Internet and the equipment..  I find myself looking up cluster reports while shopping!!   I wonder if I could hear them etc...  I grew up with computers in the 80s.   Old TI-99/4A with cassette recorder for data storage..

I think I need to go blind more often..  no peaking..  :-)

Anyway..    there's always going to be little issues here and there.. but as a newbie..   it's pretty freak'n awesome!

Merry Christmas!!

Bryan
WH7DX

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE] Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Mr. & Mrs. B and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, or where ever the hell it ends up, and will almost certainly contain information that will offend a large portion of the population, which isn't our concern. If you are not the intended lucky recipient, or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without the proper authority of the Wizard of Email or Al Gore, you are notified that any thought, use, or consumption of this email is entirely your choice. In such case, Bon Appetit....    Note:  A $.02 Internet Tax was charged for receiving this email and all funds were given to some family somewhere in America or the U.N....  Have a nice day.