Topband: Lab style comparison results on 160m small lot antennachanges.

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Dec 21 11:13:14 EST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Olinger K2AV" <olinger at bellsouth.net>
To: "TopBand List" <topband at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 7:25 PM
Subject: Topband: Lab style comparison results on 160m small lot
antennachanges.

>A prior poster, lamenting the nature of FCP success reports, wrote:
>
> "Who has done that, with only a radial change, against an unchanged
> reference antenna that is in the far field of the antenna under test.
> [Where's the post with the details] ?"
>
> Perfectly logical question.  We all would like that answered with posts
> listing lab grade experiments.

Because of antenna size, laboratory measurements are impossible on lower
bands. For that reason we can't make lab-style comparisons.

There is one thing, though, that we probably all agree on.

If more than one thing that can affect results changes in an unknown way in
any test or experiment, like the ionosphere or reworking an entire antenna
system from less-than-good system to a new one, we really don't know what
caused the change or if any one particular thing was responsible for the
change.

If we A-B against any unchanged reference, we at least know which was better
than the reference and how much better. None of this requires a lab, precise
equipment, is unreasonable, or is in the most remote way unfair. It just
requires reasonable methods.

73 Tom