Topband: Short Bogs

Greg Chartrand w7my at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 28 18:44:35 EST 2012

I used several short bogs back in the 80's on a small urban lot where their length was about 120'. I got the information on them from John K9DX. The interesting thing was that the bog wire was coax (I used RG-174)where the far end was shorted shield to center conductor and at the transformer end, only the center conductor was connected to the transformer. The bogs were the best RX antenna I had and they appeared to work well at times.
I have not tried this arrangement since then but would be interested in any comments about the use of coax as described instead of wire for the bog.
Greg
----------------------------------------------------I agree the BOGs are great for local crud reduction and in a suburban area while the DX performance isn't great, the S/N impact just from ducking the noisy switched power supplies, chargers, garbage low voltage lighting switching matchbox transformers, PCs etc is significant. Even 100 ft wires on ground with a small tuner can be a big boom to receiving.

73 and HNY to all. Pete W2PM

Greg Chartrand - W7MY

Richland, WA.

DN-06IF