Topband: Fw: Short Bogs

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 30 20:53:52 EST 2012

The characteristics of #12 THHN and such vary all over the map.  It is not
being made for use at RF.  The insulation not only changes the velocity
factor, but it also adds loss.  This too varies all over the map.

Wireman has various wires with UV resistant black PE insulation.  That
stuff seems to be predictable and stable.  I personally don't know of any
THHN with PE insulation.  YMMV, of course.  Neither of the guys at Home
Depot and Lowes have any idea what I'm talking about if I mention PE
insulation.  Apparently plastic is plastic  :>).

73, Guy