Topband: Trees (not the N6TR kind)

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon Dec 31 11:46:46 EST 2012

> Pine trees taller than 100 feet could be an issue, since they could be
> near resonance and lossy - a sad combination when within a wavelength or
> so of vertically polarized antennas.  If your trees are 50 footers, they
> would probably not be of concern on 160m, but could be on 80m.  For
> horizontally polarized antennas, the trees aren't a problem.

Years ago, when some fellow proposed that trees would radiate because they
were fractals, I measured the RF resistivity of freshly-cut pine trees. I
firmly attached copper or aluminum plates to a thick one foot long trunk
section, and measured resistance. These were wet, freshly-cut, sappy, pines.
Pines are acidic and very wet inside, so they should reasonably be at the
top of tree conductivity.

I can't recall the exact RF resistivity, but I'm pretty sure it was either
high hundreds or low thousands of ohms per foot for a one foot diameter log.
I do know the number was significant. Resonance, significant absorption, or
radiation would be impossible with that much resistivity per foot.

Given a choice, I probably wouldn't have a high voltage area in close
proximity or contact with a tree. I doubt a few trees would produce
noticeable loss, and they certainly could not be by any stretch of the
imagination "resonant" with such high resistivity per linear foot.

73 Tom