Topband: Receiver protection using PIN Diode technology

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Feb 1 05:16:25 PST 2012

Quite by accident, in leafing through K9AY's new magazine I ran into a
reference to a surface-mount PIN diode
<http://www.skyworksinc.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=857> designed
specifically for receiver protection.  It begins to block signals at +10
dBM, and works by quite a different mechanism than conventional diode
limiters, resulting in pretty high IP3. The specified lower frequency
limit is 10 MHz, but I wonder if that is arbitrary

Has anyone tried this approach to receiver protection on Topband?

--
73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000