Topband: Receiver protection using PIN Diode technology

George Dubovsky n4ua.va at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 17:01:07 PST 2012

If anyone is interested in playing with some HF-rated PINs, I have a
quantity of Microwave Associates MA-47266 available. They are 1.5 watt,
axial leaded parts (about the size of a 1/4 watt resistor), with a minority
carrier lifetime of 3.5 uS - rated for service down to 1 MHz. You can find
a datasheet on the Richardson Electronics website. Like Carl, I tried them
in the front end and filter switching positions of my IC-765 years ago, and
did measure a small TOI improvement (using lab grade equipment at work),
but the Icom already had a better front end than the Kenwoods.

73,

geo - n4ua