Topband: 2Wire, Inc. 3800HGV-B Gateway. RFI --Problem fixed for now….

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 3 21:09:53 PST 2012

My AT&T field guys had nothing particularly good to say about CAT5.
And they also were very negative about putting ferrites.  But they
***WERE*** correct about the ferrites causing additional errors when
the CAT5 run was "marginal".  I personally observed this myself.  I
will not attempt an explanation, because I don't have one, but AT&T's
particular filter WAS better than the ferrites.  The specs are not out
there anywhere, but I think (don't know) that it's an isolation
transformer that has been somehow broadbanded enough to cover .2 to 8
MHz reasonably.  It's an inventoried item or I would have gotten one
from the guy to tear apart and reverse engineer.

Much improvement was had by removing the approx 100 feet of CAT five
on the input to the gateway and making a place for the equipment
inside the house right next to the external box on the outside wall.
But not enough. The guy thinks that bending and semi crushing the
CAT5 twisted pairs, messes up the twists.  He also said there are good
lots and bad lots.

Frank will do much better with the fiber optic.  Verizon FIOS is not
available here, or I would be on it.