Topband: Radials help

Eddy Swynar deswynar at xplornet.ca
Fri Feb 10 08:48:33 PST 2012

On 2012-02-10, at 11:34 AM, Herb Schoenbohm wrote:

> One advantage of using insulate wire is that the velocity factor of the wire
> on ground or (ROG) allows for shorter lengths.  This is important if you
> have limited yard space.

Hi Herb,

Interesting point...!

According to either the ARRL "ANTENNA HANDBOOK", or ON4UN's "LOW-BAND DX HANDBOOK", the velocity factor of insulated wire placed atop the ground is 50%...

I take that to mean that a 1/8-wave PHYSICALLY long wire radial has the ELECTRICAL equivalency of a wire radial that is 1/4-wave long...

Maybe THAT'S the reason why I employ a total of 24 insulated radial wires, 65' long (each) beneath my "L" elements...it may not be an "exact science", but hope springs eternal...! (Besides, have you seen the price of copper wire lately...?!).   : >)

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ