Topband: Amazing Video of an extremely large circular array

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Fri Feb 10 09:56:36 PST 2012

The Soviet Krug array was a much smaller than the array in the video, nearly identical to the World War II German Wullenweber array.  The Krug construction techniques were far different and much less expensive than those shown in the video.

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/45jack_files/03files/Krug_Antenna_Circles_02_Russia_West.html

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ak1l3tgYH-k/SkBLkkkfXVI/AAAAAAAAAEA/KHssUy8ewWQ/s1600-h/Krug.Gatchina.jpg

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/45jack_files/04images/Krug/Odessa_I_PC030200_8965681.jpg

It appears that the array in the YouTube video is the much larger ionospheric sounder antenna associated with the Chernobyl Over-the-Horizon Radar (the woodpecker) from the 1970s.

http://lplaces.com/en/reports/13-chornobyl-2

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/45jack_files/03files/Russian_Bases_Woodpecker_Duga_Radar_Ukraine.html

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/45jack_files/04images/Krug/Duga_3_8263025.jpg

73