Topband: Radials help

k3bu at optimum.net k3bu at optimum.net
Fri Feb 10 10:20:16 PST 2012

Mis tres centavos:

I think you are right on!
There is confusion what is radial - as part of resonant antenna radiator vs. ground (plane)

One has to look at the current distribution curves in EZNEC and se what current is in what, what is radiating and what is "eaten" up by the loses.

One thing is, for the antenna hardware to form the radiation pattern.
Another thing is contribution of the ground (plane) to forming that pattern (reflections, interaction). Oh, and the polarization "thing".

Mis quatro centavos:

The best vertical monopole? 3/8 wave radiator, with 1/8 one (for some horizontal component) or two (for max vertical pol.) elevated radials over salt water mud or the biggest mother of ground screen/radials you can get.
You will get most efficient radiator with most efficient "mirror" for most of RF down to the horizon.
Proven by those on salty marshes, K6SE/K6ND stint from the Salt Lake, W8LRL with 360 radials 200 ft long, Team Vertical beach adventures, W3YOF, et al. (worth about 10 - 15 dB)

Mis cinco centavo:
Took me some 45 years to realize what makes antenna efficient:
the area under the current distribution curve along the element. Thanks to the controversy about current in the loading coils
please see http://www.k3bu.us/loadingcoils.htm
This is also important in the controversy with Linear Loading vs. coil. Coil wins, current just drops along the coil, it is inline with element. LL superimposes currents (subtracts) especially when folded along the element, not welcome in multielement arrays.

Sooo, if one thinks that radial is just "ground" that is not significant for antenna performance, go ahead.

No mo' centavos

73 Yuri, K3BU.us
"who needs sunspots on 160"