Topband: Your Thoughts on Antenna Design

PaulKB8N at aol.com PaulKB8N at aol.com
Sat Feb 11 14:33:47 PST 2012

I've always had a problem trying to hang an inverted L across my lot, as I
have many trees, but only a couple that are about 40' high, and they are in
 close proximity of each other.

I do run an inverted L from my back yard, over the top of my house (36'
high) and into a small tree in the front yard.  It works well, but I'm sure
the house structure causes some degradation of the pattern and some
attenuation  as well.

I thought about doing an inverted L in a sloper configuration, just getting
 the far end as high off the ground as possible, but then I thought of
another  design that may work better.

I am contemplating running an open loop off the top of the 40' vertical
radiator.  This loop is in the shape of an equilateral triangle about 30'  per
side, the first side coming down from the top of the vertical section at  a
slope, the second side running horizontally, and then back up to the top
of the vertical, but not connected.  This makes for roughly a quarter wave
(130') of wire.  I have two very good options for doing this, one to the
side yard fence, and one to the back yard fence.

I can slant the triangle at about 45 degrees.  This design seems to  make
some sense, because I can get all the wire in the clear, away from the  house
and the neighbors' houses.  I'm just wondering what the downsides  might
be.  Is this complex to model?Any thoughts or suggestions that  might make
this better?

Thanks in advance.

Paul, K5AF