Topband: 160m dethroned? 600m the new top band?

Eddy Swynar deswynar at xplornet.ca
Mon Feb 13 08:48:34 PST 2012

On 2012-02-13, at 11:38 AM, Mike & Coreen Smith wrote:

> I don't want to say for certain, but "seems" like VE1ZZ played around with this band as well some years back. I vaguely recall reading a story about Jack making this humoungous loading coil, but don't know howit even panned out.  Was there a special temp permit? Does anyone know?

Hi Again Mike,

Yes, as I recall reading (in RAC's "The Canadian Amateur" magazine, I think), one had to apply for a LIMITED number of special permits in Canada to operate the band---Jack was successful in getting one, no doubt because of his accomplishments on 160-meters...

There was (still is...?) a collection of Stateside experimental stations / beacons on the band as well---in fact, at one time there was a website that listed all of their call signs, locations, & a place where you could file a signal report if you'd heard any of them.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ