Topband: EIRP Measurement

W2XJ w2xj at nyc.rr.com
Tue Feb 21 11:32:49 PST 2012

The link provided below shows how to calculate EIRP. I think each
administration will spell out the requirements of how to legally
calculate EIRP. To me it is fairly straight forward. 60M in the US is an
example. While there is an EIRP limitation, the FCC simplified the
determination by assuming a dipole and the amount of power fed to it.

On 600M, one could easily put up as much tower as reasonable and then
measure the tower's impedance. Once the impedance is known it is easy to
calculate the input power to the radiator and therefore the current.
This method is virtually universal for MW power measurement. There are
calibrated RF ammeters available since they are required at each AM
broadcast station (directional stations may use as many as a dozen
depending on the array). Alternatively the voltage can be measured. In
either case it is relatively easy to build and calibrate a voltage or
current sampling device. That will establish the actual power input to
the antenna. An 80 foot tower on 600M has around .6 ohms impedance
therefore 1 amp will produce about 600 milliwatts into the antenna. 1.3
amps would be 1 watt in this example. The antenna has 4.78 db gain over
an isotropic radiator so this needs to be reduced to .75 amps which is
340 milliwatts into the antenna (or 1.7 watts if a 5 W EIRP limit ,
slightly more than 1.5 Amps). This method eliminates having to calculate
matching network losses as the ammeter is at the antenna feed point. I
also think that actual field measurement is a bad idea and probably not
allowed by most administrations. The reason is that the losses near the
ground will be higher than the skywave component which is where there
will be the possibility of interference. We will all have to wait and
see how the rules are written.