Topband: BC filters - the rest of the story

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Thu Jan 5 15:58:06 PST 2012

Paul,

There were two confusing typos in my prior e-mail.  Lets try again!

I'm sorry to hear about your furnace RFI problem.  I have similar furnace RFI, in my case the furnace is more than 1/2 mile away!  My Beverages limit the problem to the southeast direction only.

Your skywave interference intermod should be easy to resolve, since most of us have little or no problem at all.  There should be no need for a very sophisticated brick wall BC band filter.

I use inexpensive W3LPL bandpass filters
http://www.k1ttt.net/technote/w3lplfil.html

to protect relatively inexpensive ARR P1-30/20VD preamplifiers
http://www.advancedreceiver.com/page46.html

I've never had any trace of AM broadcast intermods with this simple setup.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find a solution to your intermod problem.

73
Frank
W3LPL