Topband: horiz TLDL for 80m

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Sat Jan 7 17:02:07 PST 2012

Bob,

  IMHO what you described would be a linear loaded loop and the folded
down wires should be at the top and the feed where you described.  This
avoids some feedline interaction.  But remember such an antenna
depending on spacing from the tower will couple significant energy to
the tower itself.  So all bets are off on getting mostly horizontal
polarization.  The loop itself, even feed at the bottom center will
still have some of that.  My suggestion, but you should model it first,
is to pull the bottom section away at a 45 degree angle from the tower
so you have a sloping Delta Loop.  This would probably help reduce tower
interaction a bit.  But the most ardent supporters of Delta loops
recommend wooden support poles and corner feeding for best DX work since
the vertical component is what really helps you on the low bands.

73

Herb KV4FZ