Topband: Preventing QRM

Eddy Swynar deswynar at xplornet.ca
Tue Jan 10 11:42:13 PST 2012

On 2012-01-10, at 1:43 PM, kd6nrp at earthlink.net wrote:

> I run the risk of calling CQ on what appears to be a clear frequency and QRMing a DX station calling CQ or disrupting an ongoing QSO. Any suggestions on how to prevent?

Hi Brian,

Simply follow accepted protocol, i.e.:

---LISTEN on & about your frequency of choice for a minute, or two, for any signs of activity;

---Send "QRL?" once, listen, then send "QRL?" again, & listen once more, and finally,

---If you hear nothing back---like "R", "QRL", "QSY",  "DX HR", or "U LID"(!), then it's a safe bet to go ahead & make a a short initial CQ, say, a 3x3 call. If you get no responses from anyone, anywhere, go ahead & make a 3x3 call, twice if you feel it's necessary...

If anyone gets on the frequency after you've gone through this process & they chastise you, shame on them...and it does happen legitimately on occasion, too, as guys get all fired-up & distracted by the possibility of working some DX station somewhere, via split mode right on top of you!

But it's all part of the game...welcome to Topband!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ