Topband: Ticked over intentional interference on top band

GeorgeWallner aa7jv at atlanticbb.net
Sat Jan 21 05:53:24 PST 2012

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:07:39 -0500
  Eddy Swynar <deswynar at xplornet.ca> wrote:

>> Unfortunately, VE1ZZ has a terrible signal with key
>>clicks out to over1kHz
> Hi Roger,
>
> Sez who...?
>
> Jack's keying may well be a tad on the hard side, but
>his signal HARDLY emits "...key clicks out to over 1 KHz

G'day Gentlemen,

I don't think it is "branding" when pointing out a problem
with someone's signal. It happens to all of us and we need
to know when our signal is not right.

N4IS called me once that I had two weak spurs about 3 kHz
from my carrier. I could not detect them at all on my
second RX, or see them on my spectrum analyzer. We started
troubleshooting and soon found the problem: two burned out
resistors in the K3's PA. (Resistors in the feedback loop
can burn out and cuase the bias circuit to oscillate -- K3
owners please be aware!)

Another time, I was really insenced at this strong station
with very storng clicky signals, just to find out that I
did not have my AGC set correctly and the clix were
generated in my own RX! Ooops! Good that I checked first
before making a comment.

I have also heard, however, during a contest, a station
with strong clicks he normally did not have. Deliberate?
Perhaps to keep "his" running frequency clean?
Perhaps he has just turned his drive a tad too high in the
excitement. Pointing the clix out to him should not hurt
his feelings, I recon.

We get all kinds of reasons for poor signals and the
sooner we let each other know the better. The band is a
precious and limited resource, we need to keep it clean. I
sure will not be upset if somebody lets me know!

Of course, intentional jamming, that is an entirely
different subject, but...

73,

George, AA7JV