Topband: T Vertical feed

Jerry Keller (K3BZ) k3bz at verizon.net
Wed Jan 25 18:56:09 PST 2012

Dave, Filipe, anyone..... my helix-wound vertical has a couple of elevated
radials, which are not grounded.  Everything sits above "ground", fed direct
with 50 ohm coax, about 20 ohms R at feedpoint. I have a 2.5 : 1 SWR in the
shack over about 60 KHz of the band.  I haven't had it up very long so not
much history with it yet. It seems to pretty well, but I'd like to see how
it does if I can raise the feedpoint closer to 50 ohms.  I'd like to try the
hairpin coil, connected across the coax at the feedpoint.  What's your
opinion.... worth trying?  Or should I be putting in a ground rod at the
feedpoint to ground the radials and running the hairpin to that? (I could
just try it but thought I'd get opinions first)

73,  Jerry K3BZ