Topband: T Vertical feed

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Jan 27 09:58:01 PST 2012

On 1/27/2012 12:32 PM, DAVID CUTHBERT wrote:
> Charles, Joe listed some symptoms of excessive feedine common-mode
> current such as RF bites and RF feedback. If you do not suffer from
> any of these effects a balun may be of no use.

I listed the most obvious symptoms - ones which old timers will
remember very well.  They are certainly not the only symptoms and
others can be even more dangerous resulting in intermittent problems
to serious damage to transceivers, computers and accessories.

Common mode issues are real and even more common on unbalanced antenna
systems - particularly verticals of all kinds - due to their inherent
imbalance.  Anecdotal information simply does not cut it when it comes
to protecting your equipment.  Either build a device for measuring
pico amp levels of current on the shield of the feedline or use good
common mode chokes to make sure the currents do not exist.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV