Topband: Transformer isolation vs common mode choke was: Re: T Vertical feed

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 27 12:55:10 PST 2012

The actual ratio, or incidental winding to winding capacitance,
particularly on 160m, is pretty immaterial.  What is accomplished by the
isolation transformer is simple removal of all possible current paths along
a conductor.  The various bead choke, wound balun like devices, etc, all
have a physical conductor path which has a reactive/resistive "buck"
imposed on it as a current reducing device.  This bucking effect is at its
very least on 160 unless it is specifically "tuned" in some way to 160, a
procedure not found in ANY of the commercially available devices.

Even if the buck is TUNED to 160, if the buck on the line sets up a voltage
node from the viewpoint of the unwanted signal, the voltage at the bucking
point can become very high unless there are TWO such devices spaced roughly
a quarterwave. Thus a single common mode buck can paradoxically make the
unwanted signal ingress WORSE.  In my case, the block between my TX
vertical wire and the window line feedline COMMON MODE, was having to
handle 900 volts running QRO !!  Any available bucking device was either
spectacularly ineffective or was destroyed by dissipated power.  The
isolation transformer canned all such problems AND reduced the level of
local broadcast stations some three or four S units.

One issue with an isolation transformer is its possibly needing incidental
inductance to be taken care of in some fashion, rendering the device
properly set up for a given band a single band device.  But when one is
talking about 160m devices which aren't needed anywhere else, that doesn't
matter. The incidental inductance on the RX side probably doesn't matter.

73, Guy