Topband: T Vertical feed

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 27 23:51:23 PST 2012

Yup.  Metal to metal contact with the radials, folks don't have a good
mental summarizing device for radials, thinking that "ground" is some kind
of sucking everything up magic medium.  Text below...

73, Guy.

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Charles Moizeau <w2sh at msn.com> wrote:

>  Guy,
>
> Your text is very instructive.  I hope I'm not the only follower of this
> thread who up until now thought that the shield of the coax feedline was
> acquiring undesired current by capacitive coupling to the other radials.
> So I therefore assumed that keeping the feedline away from the radials,
> either by digging it deeper or routing it far away laterally from the
> radials, would mitigate such a problem.
>
> I hope I'm now properly understanding that the the coax feedline's shield
> is hogging a huge proportion of total earth current by virtue of its (much)
> lower resistance

compared to the total resistance of all the radials even

If the total parallel radials is "much" higher than the coax,  one has a
really stinky radial system.  But that DOES occur.

though those are all in parallel with each other.