Topband: Mother of all ferrite common-mode coaxial chokes

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Jul 13 12:31:39 PDT 2012

> In my situation I have no control over RF grounding of the equipment since
> the foundation is sitting in a hole blasted out of rock. Dirt all over the
> property is only 1-2' on average.

Grounding of equipment on the desk has nothing to do with TVI or RFI, unless
you have terrible antenna common mode or other cable issues bringing RF into
the shack, or cable or connector issues in  the shack.

If earth was important, satellites and airplanes would have huge radio
problems.

I think the myth that filters and equipment needs to be earthed comes from
the false idea that filters divert unwanted signals to earth. Earthing is
for low frequency and AC safety, unless you run a longwire from the desk
tuner.

73 Tom