Topband: Beverage strain auto-disconnects

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Fri Jul 20 05:28:54 PDT 2012

Another question.

My Beverages run through forest. Falling trees caused many wire
breaks and high maintenance until I started using strain disconnects
at all ends. I use a "fuse" link of #18 soft copper wire between the
end insulator and the support pole/tree. For the Beverage connection
to the transformer, termination, or reflection transformer (most are
WD1A reversible type), I've been using 1/4" blade connectors. This
allows the Beverage to fall and simply unplug itself from the boxes.
In 4 years using this system I have not had to splice a single wire,
and they have been down MANY times.

My concern is those blade connectors, which turn an ugly mottled
black within a year after installation. I'm not sure if this is a
real problem or an imagined one. The Beverages still work but I'm
concerned about possible BCI or other crud being generated in these
connections. Does anyone have a better idea for disconnects to
protect Beverage wire and boxes from destruction?

I could replace these connectors every year or two but that would be
lot of work.

73,
Paul N1BUG