Topband: Connector installation on flooded cable

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Jul 20 05:43:06 PDT 2012

>I am replacing the coax in my Beverage system and have a dumb
> question. When using flooded cable and compression F connectors, is
> it necessary to clean the "goo" off the stripped cable prior to
> installing the connector? If so, how?

You normally won't need to clean it, just cut to size, fold the braid back
if installation instructions tell you, and slide the connector on.

Although less than safe, I clean mine with MEK when I need to clean it. That
let's me inspect for stray strands easier if the cable is really gooey on
the end. Other strong solvents also work.