Topband: Connector installation on flooded cable

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Jul 20 07:52:55 PDT 2012

> MEK), mostly to get a good visual on the strands. I apply
> Noalox (contact grease) to restore water resistance.

Years and years ago, I headed enginering for a company that owned dozens of
cable and MATV systems. Because of FCC regulations and proximity of some
systems to airport flight paths, we tested a variety of things to reduce
connector problems.

We very quickly abandoned things like noalox and settled on either 100% pure
GE silicon dielectric compound, or a Teflon based dielectric compound
manufactured by a company in Lorain Ohio (or some city close to Lorain). We
actually found an increase in connection problems with things like Noalox.

Our policy evolved into dabbing the male connector inside with dielectric
compound, and lightly smearing the female threads. We used the Teflon paste
only on trunk lines.

Noalox caused center pin connection problems on our trunk and drop cables,
turning copper black. We had to replace many connectors that had Noalox
contacting the copper. I think it was some sort of zinc-copper reaction, but
that was years ago.

73 Tom