Topband: Beverage strain auto-disconnects

Missouri Guy n0tt1 at juno.com
Fri Jul 20 08:21:26 PDT 2012

Hi Paul,

> My Beverages run through forest. Falling trees caused many wire
> breaks and high maintenance until I started using strain disconnects
>
> at all ends. I use a "fuse" link of #18 soft copper wire between the
>
> end insulator and the support pole/tree.

That's good.  Better than having to splice a wire or worse, ladder-line!

>For the Beverage connection
> to the transformer, termination, or reflection transformer (most are
> WD1A reversible type), I've been using 1/4" blade connectors. This
> allows the Beverage to fall and simply unplug itself from the boxes.
> In 4 years using this system I have not had to splice a single wire,
> and they have been down MANY times.
> My concern is those blade connectors, which turn an ugly mottled
> black within a year after installation. I'm not sure if this is a
> real problem or an imagined one. The Beverages still work but I'm
> concerned about possible BCI or other crud being generated in these
> connections. Does anyone have a better idea for disconnects to
> protect Beverage wire and boxes from destruction?

For connections to boxes, "5-way" binding posts on the box
and solder-type banana plugs on the wires work well.  Fill the posts
with Vaseline then insert the plug, squeezing out the excess.
That will help provide a gas-tight/water-tight connection.  If
the posts ever need cleaning on the inside, use a cotton
swab chucked in a portable electric drill and some metal polish.

73,
Charlie, N0TT