Topband: Beverage antennas

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 24 00:53:46 PDT 2012

I'm just thinking about the probably slow velocity factor of the stuff
Jacques describes, the loss, and the poor performance it would give if used
for a reversible beverage.

The losses as a reversible beverage would far exceed those used as a
balanced feedline, because of the balance partly cancelling fields in the
dielectric between them. Used in a completely unbalanced manner,  ALL the
dielectric around both wires contributes to loss in either direction,
leading to the intriguing possibility of increasing the loss in that
application by 3 or 4.  Then you put it out for 500 feet.  3 x 1.8 x 5 = 27
dB loss, on 160 meters!  And that not accounting for issues with VF
creating BOG like problems in reception.

Is there really anyone actually using this stuff for reversible beverages
on 160???  This stuff could make you plumb deaf on 160.

73, Guy.