Topband: Beverage antennas

Rick Stealey rstealey at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 24 08:41:06 PDT 2012

Frank, W3LPL recommends -
> Clothing can be purchased pretreated with Permethrin.  Commercially treated clothing remains effective after dozens of washings.  Look for the trademarks "Insect Shield" and "Bug Shield" in sporting goods stores or online:

I have been having a terrible problem with ticks this year in Central NJ. In my yard I have found Bifenthrin works fantastic.  You need a sprayer that attaches to a garden hose and sprays a big area.  Never buy the stuff at Home Depot, etc unless you are wealthy.  You will pay about 5% of the cost by buying mail order. Get the 7% solution, not 0.5 % like at HD.

But this year I found any walk in my woods resulted in multiple ticks on me.  The night I felt one crawling up my leg at 3 am was the end.  I ordered the Permethrin product for clothes.  $16 for 4 treatments, should be enough for a whole season.  Since then I have not seen a tick !  One other poster reported that it may not be effective for deer ticks.  That would be a disappointment, but it sure has worked on wood ticks for me.  Those 2 products, plus Roundup, are indispensible.  Always buy mail order, the savings is immense.

Rick  K2XT