Topband: Spark gaps

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 13:18:28 PDT 2012

Man, I don't know, Dave. How long have they been selling those carbon balls
for that purpose?

I don't have the figures in front of me, but carbon has a significant
amount of resistance. (Maybe that's the secret: the current gets limited as
a result. :-)

It would be interesting to calculate the resistance of a carbon sphere
sometime (how big are those?). Then we could roughly estimate the voltage
drop across it and so come up with a ballpark figure of the instantaneous
power dissipated in those balls.

At that point, someone with way too much time on their hands could estimate
the temperature rise based on the specific heat of carbon. :-)

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com