Topband: Spark gaps

N2TK, Tony tony.kaz at verizon.net
Fri Jul 27 16:48:03 PDT 2012

As a side note, last night when the storm came barreling in with very strong
winds I was watching the tower as the elements whipped around. Bang! First
time I saw a direct hit on the tower. Had spots in my eyes for a while.
Tower is about 150' from the kitchen window.

I had everything tuned off but I never disconnect anything.
Was anxious when I turned on things this morning. Everything is fine except
the fuse blew on the Prosistel when I turned it on. Replaced the fuse and
everything is now fine.
I guess my ground system is working. Couldn't find any burn marks anywhere
inside or at the tower. With no visual or electrical damage maybe the tower
has been hit before?

By the way the tower is grounded and I shunt feed it for 160M.

73,
N2TK, Tony