Topband: elevated counterpoise and lightning

Bob Kupps n6bk at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 29 18:03:47 PDT 2012

Hi in this thread I mentioned using a 1/4 wave shorted stub at the feed points of our 4 square for static drain. Since we want to farm the paddy land we will use a non-resonant counterpoise of 48 radials connected to a perimeter wire about 1.5m above the flooded ground. The only galvanic connection to earth would be back through the RG6 feed line to the center control box. So would adding an RF choke to the earth ground at the element base be a good idea in this case? Does anyone have any experience with the behavior of elevated radials in a lightning strike?

73 Bob HS0ZIA