Topband: Meaning of AGC "Delay"

Chortek, Robert L Robert.Chortek at berliner.com
Fri Jun 1 09:40:10 PDT 2012

Dear All,

I am looking at the AGC parameters on the FTdx9000D.  Yaesu uses the term "delay" but does not define the term.

Other manufactures use the term "attack" time which I understand to mean how quickly the AGC reacts to a signal at the "threshold" level.

"Hold" time means the period of time the AGC voltage remains constant at the peak level once the AGC is activated by a signal above the threshold.

"Decay" is the rate at which the AGC voltage is reduced (gain increased) once the "hold" time expires.

So, two questions:

1.	Does anyone know for sure what Yaesu means by the term "delay"?  Does it have the same meaning as the "decay" time?   Different authors uses different terms to mean the same
thing but do not define the terms - leading to confusion.

2.	When we adjust the AGC "delay" on a Yaesu rig, what are we doing?

Thanks for any clarification.

73,

Bob AA6VB