Topband: RI1ANF on Topband

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jun 11 13:21:43 PDT 2012

On 6/11/2012 1:02 PM, Mike Waters wrote:
> On another subject, you may be able to hear RI1ANF (South Shetland Islands)
> after dark. I've heard him to the SSE the past two nights on 1826.5 through
> the lightning QRN. K3JJG in PA was copying him better than I was.

This would be a great application for JT65A, which could allow many NA
stations to work him.

The traditional way to call someone on JT65A is to zero-beat them on the
waterfall.  The better way to call a DX station is to NOT zero beat
them, but rather to spread out like a split pileup. Since the window is
about 2.7 kHz wide, a JT65 signal is about 220 Hz wide, and signals can
be decoded with some overlap, at least a dozen signals can
simultaneously call and be decoded.  JT65A activity on 160M is from
about 1838.5 - 1841.2, transmitting by feeding a USB transmitter with a
carrier of 1838 kHz.

The software of choice is JT65-HF. It is freeware, well documented in a
pdf, and very easy to use. A QSO typically takes 5-6 minutes to complete.

73, Jim K9YC