Topband: Stew Perry, Summer Edition, less than 24 hours away!

Sam Morgan k5oai.sam at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 07:42:09 PDT 2012

when I am looking at the whole US on the http://www.strikestarus.com/ site
all I look at is the different colored + signs
those are the actual strikes
and their color codes are in the upper right hand corner of the map
closer to white you get, the worse it gets

just for this question: 'where are the storms bad enough'
that either, I can't hear through the static crashes
or the receiving stations can't hear me through those crashes

all I need to do when I look at the maps info
is how far out will my 160m hops be
I know from the past I generally get
70% of my contacts out about 1000km (621mi)
20% out about 1500km (939mi)
10% are the rar ones out 2000km (1242mi) or more

so I look out in about a 600mi circle and see
if any rx stations are clear of strikes around them
that might kill their ability to hear my peanut whistle....

call me lazy, but I don't enjoy 14 hours under the cans
with lots of crashes in my ears and no Q's to show for it
starts to fall in the 'I'd rather be beating my head against the wall' category
I know, just no dang dedication at all from us 65yr old youngin's these days

--
GB & 73
K5OAI