Topband: Receiving loops

Brian Miller brianmiller at xtra.co.nz
Sat Jun 16 17:17:00 PDT 2012

Hi Tim

I also agree with the previous comments on this thread about detuning the
transmit antenna (or any other wires/cables that are resonant on 160M) and
isolating the coax feed line from the RX loop.

It is also important to identify the direction of the main source of the
noise and orientate the loop accordingly so that is being properly nulled. I
use a small portable tuned loop to identify the direction of the noise..

Of course, if the noise is coming from the same direction as the DX then you
are not going to see much (or any ) improvement in the signal-to-noise
ratio. Also, if the noise sources are in multiple directions then it will
also be difficult to null the noise properly. I have found that small tuned
loops (with their bidirectional nulls) are often more effective in such a
situation.

One of the problems with small tuned loops made from wire is their low
sensitivity. Rather than using a pre-amp you can boost the output by making
the loop larger (e.g., a circumference of 0.1 wavelength or even larger).
The larger loop maintains a directional pattern similar to the smaller one
but also exhibits a higher radiation radiation resistance and hence lower
losses.

Good luck with the experiments and let us know how you get on.

73, Brian VK3MI ZL1AZE