Topband: Beverage Antennas & Trees

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Jun 20 12:51:53 PDT 2012

On 6/20/2012 9:40 AM, ZR wrote:
> Mine are installed thru the woods and I spent considerable time trimming out
> low growth plus interfering branches.

Mine are also DXE twinlead  in a dense redwood forest with rather
irregular terrain, and go through a lot of brush and scrub trees. When I
installed them about five years ago, I used electric fence post
stand-offs on trees, but after a few years most had fallen off or the
twinlead had separated from the standoff. For several years, my
Beverages have been supported by the brush and branches of low trees.
They work.

A year or so ago, I helped string a single wire Beverage along a dirt
road in Bonnaire, again supporting it on the scrub trees and brush. it
worked fine.

Bottom line -- Beverages don't have to be ideal to work.  What DOES
matter is keeping common mode noise out of it, and also off of the
feedline. That means a decent transformer and ferrite chokes formed by
winding at least 14 turns of the coax around a #31 toroid.

73, Jim K9YC