Topband: Noise in the Shack - A new noise!

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Wed Jun 27 12:33:33 PDT 2012

> I then unplugged the power to the SSD and the garbage was still there.
> So I conclude that its my motherboard making the garbage when I boot using the SSD!?

SSD's draw substantially less power than a mechanical/rotating hard drive.

All mechanical drives draw off the +12V rail; SSD's generally only use power from the 5V (or 3.3V for newer mSATA) rail.

Indeed switching power supplies may generate more hash without a load on a particular output line.

It used to be the case for some DEC Q-bus computers, if you didn't have enough hard drives plugged in to your system, there was a dummy load card to keep the switching power supply tamed.

Tim N3QE