Topband: Chokes for Beverages

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 09:17:29 PDT 2012

Does there always need to be electrical continuity between the various
shields along the length of coax? I don't think so.

According to
https://awapps.commscope.com/catalog/broadband/product_details.aspx?id=46911,
both the inner and outer foil in the stuff we use are
Aluminum/Polymer/Aluminum. That sounds like there's an insulating layer of
polymer, doesn't it?

Regardless, there is coax available that definitely has the shields
insulated from each other. The shields are connected together at the ends,
inside the connectors (not to mention there's capacitance between the
shields). What determines the characteristic Z of this coax is the ID of
the bonded inner foil and the OD of the center conductor, not the extra
layers of shielding.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com