Topband: Laird ferrites

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Fri Jun 29 06:53:17 PDT 2012

Most of the ham stuff references Amidon and Fair-Rite ferrite mix numbers

A different company, Laird, sells three main mixes of ferrite toroids/beads/snap-ons: "LF", "28" and "HF". Graphs in http://www.lairdtech.com/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=3363

Laird mix 28 might be comparable to Fair-Rite 43, and Laird mix LF might be good for 160M balun chokes. But maybe I'm comparing apples and oranges.

Laird cores are very well stocked at Digi-Key and prices are excellent in low quantities. I've been using them in switch-mode power supplies but not in actual "RF" applications so far.
Thoughts on Laird mix LF? Anyone tried it for choke baluns on 160M?

Tim N3QE