Topband: How Good is Good Enough?

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Mar 12 04:29:53 PDT 2012

This is exactly why I got to looking at BOGs - I lack the space in a
Northeasterly direction (Northwest too, for that matter).  Mine is 220
feet, as suggested by some experiments with the resonant frequency of a
dipole laid on the ground to derive a velocity factor - a technique
suggested by K2AV.

My thinking on putting the preamp at the antenna end was that I would
improve the SNR and potentially the directivity by amplifying the
desired signal before sending it down the coax where common mode signal
pickup, to some degree, seemed inevitable.  But if the preamp is
amplifying those signals as well, then I clearly need to rethink.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000