Topband: Need advice for K3 and RX BC AM

Rick Stealey rstealey at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 12 04:45:46 PDT 2012

The K3 sensitivity falls off severely below 160 meters.  But if you have the IF option (KXV3)
which provides a receive antenna port it does not have the filtering, and there is plenty
of sensitivity over the whole band (0.5-1.7 MHz).  The KXV3 is very useful for 160 meter
use as it allows use of a Beverage.
You should be able to make your signal level/readability tests without a seoarate AM
filter.  I just checked on my K3 and sensitivity falls off very fast below 1.6 MHz.

Rick  K2XT