Topband: TB season

ZR zr at jeremy.mv.com
Fri Mar 16 13:26:13 PDT 2012

In the 50's as a HS student I worked many 160M AM mobiles out to 20 miles or
so and they worked each other out to about 10 miles unless they were along
the salt water area roads and then they were much louder. This was down on
LI, NY.

These were commuters during mostly daylight hours when the noise level was
very low. During the winter dark hours it was a mixed bag and I certainly
didnt understand propagation very well then. Many also were on 10 and 11M
(yes, it was a ham band) when 160 was poor.

My 160M horizontal back then was about 15' high....pre NVIS days (-; and the
rig was a Johnson Viking I with 122 VFO and Hammarlund HQ-129X.

Carl
KM1H