Topband: It is not so much propagation

N7DF n7df at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 07:22:09 PDT 2012

 During the summer the storm static is the main obstacle to top band operation here   40 over nine crashes every 30 seconds kind of drown out everything, QRP or QRO
In fact the fish beacons still come through around sunrise indicating that propagation paths are open but SWLing them is not that big a thrill
Maybe we could get some low power 160 meter beacons operating through the summer to see what is really happening
It would be interesting to get more Field Day stations on 160.  Maybe our crowd can get 160 included in local club plans
a 30 foot high mast with top loading is not to hard to put together and can get out pretty well with two or three readials
it might even get some new people interested in top band