Topband: It is not so much propagation

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Mar 19 14:36:20 PDT 2012

On 3/19/2012 1:56 PM, wb6rse1 at mac.com wrote:
> Since Dec '99, my own stats are 196 DXCC from a 1/7 acre West Coast city lot or 1372 per acre. If I had room for 160m RX arrays, I know my total would be higher by perhaps 25 or so. There are very few West of the Rockies that have cracked that 200 plateau. Look at the number of countries in proximity to a QTH within a 5000 mile radius and with NO aurora zone to deal with and you can see why. Top Band is a very different animal out here.

Indeed it is. I've worked 125 since moving here (the San Francisco Bay
area) in 2006 and thought I was doing well.  In a lot more seasons, NI6T
said PJ7PT was #229 for him. Quite an achievement, especially
considering Garry's QTH, which at the bottom of a very deep gulley, with
mountains rising steeply for at least 500 ft on two sides, and with not
a lot of land. I see from ClubLog that K6TA has 211 worked, from a much
better location.

73, Jim K9YC